Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

A locally sourced treat






























Carmel Corn!!!!

This week I faced a big change at home -- my daughter left for college.  I knew I had to do something special for her, and was going to make Grandma Neva cookies, but didn't have time last night.   I also knew I had to come up with something fast since I had to mail her a box today with things she had forgotten. Luckily I remembered a recipe I got from my best friend years ago.  One of those she gave me on the back of her wedding rsvp cards when I was a newlywed.   The carmel is made in the microwave and it always turns out perfect without all the fuss of candy thermometers.  I used locally sourced popcorn, and would have liked to use locally sourced butter, but have not been able to get any for awhile.   

I highly recommend giving this a try.  Here is the recipe:

Pop 3 quarts of popcorn.  Put it in a brown paper bag. 

In a microwave safe bowl, glass 2 qt bowl place:
1/2 c butter
1 c brown sugar
1/4 c corn syrup
1/4 t salt

Cook on high for 1 minute.  Stir.
Cook another minute. Stir
Cook another minute.  Stir.
Cook two minutes.  Stir.
Add 1/2 t baking soda. Stir.  (at this point it will be all bubbly, thick, and ready.)
Pour over the popcorn in the bag and stir well.  
Fold over paper bag and microwave 1 minute.
Pour out on a cookie sheet and bake in a 225 degree oven for 40 minutes.  
Cool and eat.

I made a double batch and put the carmel corn in sandwich ziplock bags that my daughter can share with her friends.  And they worked will for packing material around the items in the box I needed to send.  

Please share ideas for homemade treats that ship well.  I know my daughter and her friends will appreciate it. 


5 comments:

  1. someone suggested making it with honey, instead of corn syrup. I'm going to try that next time. I have locally sourced honey that could do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb, I have made this before, and it is SOOOO good! I'd be interested in knowing how it works when you make it with honey. ~Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing this recipie resurface - oddly, I was just thinking about it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds similar to what we used to make with (non-local!) Chex cereal, called "school fuel". It is delicious....and addictive!!! I am anxious to try it with popcorn, and love the idea of using it as "packing filler".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorie -- I plan to try the honey thing within the week. I'll post an update.

    Vicki -- I'll make sure to send you some when i make it again!

    Genny -- Yes, very addictive. The night I made it I kept going back for more. Not a good thing for me.

    ReplyDelete