Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Tomato Paste for Lunch






























Yesterday I picked up a few Roma tomato "seconds" when I was as Fair Shares to make more tomato paste.  But I didn't buy enough to bother canning it.  Which was actually a good thing.  I got to have some for lunch today!

Last night I blanched and peeled the 12 tomatoes, then put them in the fridge overnight, since I didn't have time to cook them down to a paste.  This morning I drained off the excess water, threw them in the food processor to chop, then dropped them in the crock pot, along with a bay leaf, a garlic clove and a pinch sea salt.  I left the crock pot uncovered and set it to high, then left to take my daughter to school and go walk with friends.

When I came home, I had a beautiful, rich tomato paste.  I removed the bay leaf and garlic clove, and was going to put it in a ziplock bag to freeze, but then I walked by my basil and the combination of smells told me I had to eat some.

I spread some of the paste on a hearty slice of Companion 5 grain bread and chopped some fresh basil on top.  I was going to add some shredded cheese, but decide it may be better kept simple, and I was right.  The deep tomato flavor, with the hit of basil on the hearty bread was perfect.  I did add some Alpenglow cheese on the side to have some protein.  The Alpen glow cheese has a mild, buttery flavor that complemented the tomato paste sandwich.  (I am not much of a cheese person, but I love this one!)

I now need I need to pick up more tomatoes next week so I can add to my tomato paste stash I canned last month.  Having tasty tomato paste all year long will will be a treat on a cold, winter day.

How do you use tomato paste?





No comments:

Post a Comment