Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Zucchini Five Ways


Zucchini season has sprung. We have received zucchini for the last three weeks from Fair Shares and I am working hard to find ways to eat it. The first week I made zucchini bread using a recipe my best friend, Vicki gave me over 20 years ago. I have to admit making this recipe brought back many fun memories. Vicki wrote the recipe on the back of the invitation to her wedding reception. I smile every time I turn over the card and am reminded of the dinner reception at Flaming Pit all those years ago. Vicki gave me many recipes she inherited from her mother, and I treasure them all.

Vicki's Spiced Zucchini Bread

1 c sugar
1/2 c butter
2 eggs
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t nutmeg
1 c finely grated unpeeled zucchini
1 t vanilla
1/2 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 X 5 X 3 inch loaf pan.
Cream sugar and better, Beat in eggs.
Combine flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg.
Stir 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Stir in zucchini (batter may look curdled) Stir in remaining dry ingredients, then walnuts and vanilla.
Bake 50-60 mins. Turn out on to a rack to cool.

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
Second I made Zucchini Chocolate Chip cookies, using the recipe I picked up from Heifer International. I think next time I'm going to use more butter and less baking soda. They ended up a little too cake-like to me.

And today I made Zucchini three ways for lunch -- Fried, sauteed, and zucchini latkes.

Fried
I dipped slices in milk, then beaten eggs, then a mixture of flour and corn meal, the fried in olive oil.

Sauteed
I sauteed some garlic in olive oil, then added the zucchini, some balsamic vinegar and some fresh oregeno and basil that I have growing by my back door. (I think I sliced the zucchini too thin, but it had a nice flavor.)

Zucchini Latkes
from The Farm Market Cookbook, by Judith Oleary (I think, I can't read the photocopy I made of the recipe) I saved this recipe from a local newspaper from about 15 years ago. I don't know which paper, and I can't read the cookbook authors name.

3/4 pound tender zucchini
2 heaping t grated onion
1 large red bell pepper, roasted, skinned, seeded and divided
1 egg beaten
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c milk
2 t minced fresh basil
1/4 t hot pepper sauce
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
Olive oil for frying
1/3 cup sour cream

Grate zucchini through medium-fine blade (the recipe says to salt and let sit for an hour to get rid of some of the water, but I don't always do this)
Mix in onion and 2 T diced red pepper
In another bowl, stir together egg, cheese, milk, basil, 1/4 t salt, hot pepper sauce and pepper.
Mix together, add the flour and baking powder and stir well until mixed.

Fry by ladle full in olive oil over medium heat. Fry on both sides until browned.

To make sauce, puree the remaining diced pepper with sour cream. Serve with latkes.
(I also used this sauce with the fried slices)

Yield about 7 servings.

I've made this recipe for years and love it.

Please share how you are using zucchini this season. I'm always looking for new ways to use this bountiful vegetable.

1 comment:

  1. A friends just emailed this one to me. I think it sounds wonderful and will be trying it tomorrow.

    ZUCCHINI PUFF

    3 cups zucchini (peeled and sliced thinly, then cut in half)
    1 cup Bisquick
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    2 tsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp seasoned salt
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    scant 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    4 eggs, beaten

    Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Should be golden brown. Serve as a vegetable side dish by cutting into 3 inch squares. Also, good as an appetizer if cut into bite-sized squares. Freezes well.

    let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete