Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Seasonal pasta dinner

Seasonal Pasta Dinner


This week's share from Fair Shares included Salume Beddu Bolognese sausage, Ozark Forest fresh mushrooms, Zimmerman tomatoes, Nolte pac choi, DeMange honeydew, Jacobs Orchard grapes, and Mangia Pasta whole wheat rotelle.  I looked at all the seasonal goodness on my kitchen counter as I unpacked the bags and immediately saw a seasonal pasta dinner.





I removed the sausage from the casing and browned it while cooking the pak choi stems in a little olive oil, and boiling fresh pasta.  When the pak choi stems had softened some, I added some Theis farms chopped green pepper, that we received last week, and some mushrooms.   Last I threw in the pak choi so it could wilt a little before putting it on the pasta. 


I served it over the pasta with fresh tomatoes.

The end result, was a tasty plate of seasonal goodness.  I think the thing that pulled it all together was the bolognese sausage.  The hint of cinnamon and nutmeg is a great balance to all the veggies. 


3 comments:

  1. We did a very similar dinner: pasta, mushrooms, pac choi, garlic, onion, and some basil from the garden. Used milder chicken sausage to appeal to our young daughters and a Trader Joes Rustico tomato sauce. Turned out terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, Mike. I thought about tomato sauce, but remembered how much I loved the bolognese sausage from Salume Beddu. It is very mild with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. I believe it is best standing alone, with the fresh veggies. I've been canning a lot of tomato paste this summer so I know we will be doing the tomato sauce thing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great share! So many good food items. I'm trying so hard to like mushrooms, and this looks great, so maybe I need to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete