Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Grandma Neva's Cookies

My grandma Neva was famous for her cookies. She baked them often enough to have some on hand at all times, which was pretty often because many of us believe that was all she ate at some meals, which must not have been too bad since she lived to 93.

Grandma had given the recipe to various members of the family, and it was told differently each time. One of the most recent variations I heard was a teaspoon of walnut extract, rather than the vanilla in mine. Others have coconut and others have butterscotch chips. We think she made it up as she went along, depending on what she found in the kitchen. (I always thought it was some sort of wonder recipe, until I realized it is pretty much identical as to what was found on the back of the Quaker Oatmeal box. )

This afternoon I made the recipe as she gave it to me more than 20 years ago. As I was making it. I realized it is perfect for the style of cooking she used, and one I am trying to embrace -- use what you have on hand and make the best of it. The cookies I made today used locally sourced eggs and Missouri grain project whole wheat flour. I doubt my grandmother used locally milled flour, but then again I don't know where people got their flour in the 1930's in rural Missouri.

Please try this recipe and think about ways you can adapt it to what you have on hand -- raisins, dried apricots, pistachios, etc. Let me know what you come up with. I know my Grandma would be proud.

Grandma Neva's Chocolate Chip Cookies

mix: 1-cup brown sugar
1 cup while sugar
1 cup shortening
a little salt
and two eggs.

Add: 1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal

Mix thoroughly.
Add 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Mix well. Stir in 2 cps chocolate chips and 1 cup choppped pecans.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Grandma said to, "bake in a moderate oven until done." We bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment