Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Taco Night was a Disappointment

Friday night we had our Mexican Fiesta, as planned, but nothing stood out as really good. I browned the grass-fed ground beef and should have carefully seasoned it, but instead used a prepared southwest seasoning that I had on hand. It didn't have a taco flavoring. That was the first misstep.

I grated the Ropp Aged Cheddar cheese and tried some melted on the San Luis tortilla chips, but it was much too strong. A mild cheese would have worked better.

Of course some chopped fresh tomatoes would have been wonderful, but we aren't in tomato season yet, so I thought the Jasbo salsa would fill in nicely. Again, a wrong choice. None of us cared for the salsa. The jar lists all "normal" salsa ingredients, but something didn't taste right. Scott thought it had spinach in it because of the large leafy items in the salsa. It didn't look like any cilantro we are familiar with. We ended up throwing out the salsa since we knew we wouldn't be eating any more of it. I was hoping to like the salsa. I really like eating foods from local producers. But, I guess not everyone can have the same taste.

On another note, we tried the Jailhouse Brew sauce on hotdogs for lunch. It is a fun, funky mixture of mustard and jalpenos. My only complaint is it seems a little too sweet for some things. I also made some deviled eggs with it, which was also fun. I think this sauce will be a family staple.


No comments:

Post a Comment