Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Kale and Watercress



Yesterday I got my week-four share from Fair Shares. My challenge foods this week included
watercress and kale. We also got a lovely head of bib lettuce, a quart of bright red strawberries, and the makings of a wonderful mexican fiesta dinner, which will happen Friday night.

I decided to embrace the new foods and try the kale and watercress.

First, pictured on top here, is a kale salad. I used a recipe I found on epicurious.com from Gourmet magazine. It was very easy, but I couldn't find the ricotta salata cheese at my local market and tried substituting some gruyere I had on hand. My husband really liked the salad and had seconds. The girls and I didn't care for it. I would like to try it again with a different cheese. I have a feeling it was the gruyere I didn't like with the dressing.

Pictured below is a watercress and avacado salad. The recipe on epicurious called for six cups of watercress, but I ended up with less than 2 cups after getting rid of the thick stems in my share. I tried to cut back on the dressing and avacado, but it doesn't look anything like the epicurious website. No one cared for this salad, but I don't think I can blame the watercress, I think I ended up with too much dressing to get the fresh flavor of the watercress.

Tomorrow -- tacos! We'll be using American grass-fed ground beef, Ropp cheddar cheese, San Luis Tortillas and tortilla chips, Biver Farms lettuce, and Jasbo's Salsa. You'll have to wait to see how it comes out, but I'll give you a preview. I tasted the salsa and chips and can hardly wait.















No comments:

Post a Comment