Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

If It's Wednesday, It Must be Pizza

It seems we've fallen into a routine of having frozen pizza on Wednesday nights. Wednesday is the one day I go into the office to work so I'm not home to plan any more involved cooking and it is just feels right to have an easy night once in awhile.

This week we were able to keep to the plan to eat locally by having a pizza from Dogtown Pizza. The Dogtown website points out . . . "we make a true St. Louis style restaurant quality pizza and freeze it." This can be good or bad news depending on what you think of St. Louis style pizza.

If you're from St. Louis you immediately understand, if not, please let me explain. St. Louis style pizza starts with a cracker thin crust. (You may see the pizza even curled up a little on one side as it baked because the crust is so thin.) The pizza is topped with classic St. Louis style cheese -- a mixture of mozzarella and provel. Provel is a mixture itself, of cheddar, swiss and provelone. It has a goooey, stringy texture and a buttery taste. Either you love it or you hate it. I seem to think most people hate it, but it does seem popular in St. Louis.

My girls ate the pizza without noticing the cheese, but my husband and I are probably more in tune to St. Louis style pizza and noticed the cheese right away. As he said, "it would be a pretty good pizza with a different cheese."

This particular pizza was a sausage and pepperoni. The meats are made fresh daily in the Hill section of St. Louis, an Italian-American enclave. I did notice the meat to be particularly tasty.


I'll probably pick up another pizza this week from Fair Shares, but may try adding some more mozzarella to hide the provel flavor and texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment