Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mushroom Ravioli and other items

Tonight the girls and I had mushroom ravioli I picked up at Fair Shares a couple of weeks ago. It was really good. I served it with some slices of Companion baguette. We drizzled some olive oil on it. I also used some balsamic vinegar. I know I will be picking up more of the frozen ravioli because it was a nice local meal for a night I didn't have time to cook.

Last night we had my mother over for Mother's Day and served her a local meal. The main dish was grass-fed skirt steak. I used a southwestern rub and cooked it in the grill pan. For side dishes we had a spinach salad, adding some of the pea shoots and the end of the radishes, sauteed the end of the collard greens in garlic and lemon juice, and made a strawberry parfait using the local strawberries and honey. My mother still doesn't "get" what we are trying to do with eating locally, but she does agree that the food is fresh and high quality. I am hoping that as we learn more about the producers and share that with her she can see eating locally not only brings high quality food, but is also fair to the producers and makes a positive impact on the local community.

One for thing, this afternoon I spent some time studying the "swap list" and thinking about the extras I want to get this week. The one new thing I see is flour from the Missouri Grain Project, flour milled from locally grown organic wheat. I think this may be our next step in trying to eat locally.


No comments:

Post a Comment