Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

Should I plant tomatoes this summer?


This weekend the sky was the color blue we only see a handful of days in Missouri, between the grey of winter and the haze of humid summer, the trees were blooming and the grass was the beautiful yellow-green of spring. It was a perfect day to walk around the yard and dream of planting for summer. We moved “in” from Ballwin almost five years ago, leaving behind the treeless suburban sunny yard for a well-established, much smaller, shaded yard.

We left behind two 8’ X 8’ raised beds where I planted vegetables. The tomatoes and peppers thrived. We also grew some zucchini and pumpkins over the years. (Sometimes I would forget to pick the zucchini regularly and found 2-3 foot long giants the next morning.) The first year I even planted two rows of corn, the biggest waste of space in a small garden – who knew you only got one ear of corn per stalk?

In our new yard I tried tomatoes in tubs, moving them throughout the day to find the sun, but that got old very quickly. Last year we had some dying trees cut down and I found one small space in the middle of the yard had some sun. I planted tomatoes and peppers and re-found the joy of eating cherry tomatoes right off the plant.

Which brings me to the dilemma – do I plant tomatoes again this year? We haven’t started receiving our local food yet, but I have to believe we will be getting a lot of tomatoes, zucchini and peppers when they are in season. These are the easiest to grow in St. Louis and are enjoyable. I asked my family at dinner what they thought and my oldest daughter immediately responded YES! She loves the fresh tomatoes and shares my joy of eating her snack off the plant when out in the yard. But it does seem like a lot of unnecessary work, which may even lead to wasted produce.

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. If it makes you happy AND your oldest daughter says yes, then I would plant at least a few. It seems that this is one of those memories you may miss years from now even though you are getting your box soon. My Mom used to love planting, caring, and eating her home growm tomatoes. Go figure I never really was much for them, but I cherish those memories of helping her with somthing she loved. Plant the memories Barb:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let Guy Clark speak for me:

    Ain't nothin' in the world that I like better
    Than bacon & lettuce & homegrown tomatoes
    Up in the mornin' out in the garden

    Get you a ripe one don't get a hard one
    Plant `em in the spring eat `em in the summer
    All winter with out `em's a culinary bummer
    I forget all about the sweatin' & diggin'
    Everytime I go out & pick me a big one

    Homegrown tomatoes homegrown tomatoes
    What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes
    Only two things that money can't buy
    That's true love & homegrown tomatoes

    You can go out to eat & that's for sure
    But it's nothin' a homegrown tomato won't cure
    Put `em in a salad, put `em in a stew
    You can make your very own tomato juice
    Eat `em with eggs, eat `em with gravy
    Eat `em with beans, pinto or navy
    Put `em on the side put `em in the middle
    Put a homegrown tomato on a hotcake griddle

    If I's to change this life I lead
    I'd be Johnny Tomato Seed
    `Cause I know what this country needs
    Homegrown tomatoes in every yard you see
    When I die don't bury me
    In a box in a cemetery
    Out in the garden would be much better
    I could be pushin' up homegrown tomatoes

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm convinced. I will go and out finish cleaning the garden space tomorrow. It always kind of feels like when I was prepping the nursery for my daughters to arrive. The nesting instinct kicks in and the anticipation grows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will get tomatoes, but probably not enough to make you sick of them--but don't plant too many tomatoes. And you don't need to plant zucchini--we typically get plenty!

    sara of Fair Shares

    p.s. I'm going to let our membership know about the blogs FS members are writing, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the insight, Sara!

    And thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete