Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thursday Night Fair Share Dinner

Following last week's tradition to have a meal based on the current fair share pick-up, we planned a meal using the bison, lettuce and wheat berries.

The bison was really easy to work with. We made middle eastern bison meatballs, which took more work than I had planned but were awesome. I plan on buying more of the bison to try it as regular cheeseburgers. I was pleased to find the texture was not as I remembered from when I had bought bison meat many years ago.

I was expecting to be confused about the wheat berries, but I did enough interent research before I got to the food pick-up I knew what to expect. I already knew I would need to cook them for an hour and would probably make a salad. Katie found a simple salad recipe that worked really well. We only had to saute some onions, then add some green onions (which also came in this week's share), carrots, balsamic vinegar and red bell pepper. It has a very pleasant, light flavor that went well with the flavorful middle eastern meatballs.




The food that threw me this week was the Claverach Farms pea shoots -- yes they look just like the clover in my yard. Jaime, at Fiar Shares, said to cut them up and add to soups, salads, even spaghetti sauces. I did throw some in the salad last night, but I'm going to have to get more creative with this.

I know Katie is planning on making the lemon spinach pasta again this weekend and this seems like something we could add.

The meal also included a tossed salad with the same dressing I made last week, also well as the bag of potato chips from The Billy Goat chip company. For desert we had vanilla ice cream, sprinkled with some of my granola using the local maple syrup. (I even bought more syprup so I could continue making the granola.)

Overall another successful meal based on local foods.


No comments:

Post a Comment