Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Something to Strive For

I think Spring Fever has officially hit.

I'm picking up my rain barrels this weekend.
I've started prepping the mini-garden space for my homegrown tomatoes.
And I'm looking online to see what local gardeners are doing.

I've found one family that has given me someting to strive for. Justin and Danielle have transformed their suburban yard into a full-fledged farm. Besides planting corn, tomatoes and the regular suburban vegetables, they are raising goats, squab and bees -- and butchering pigs. I recommend you take a minute to look at this article in the River Front Times. While I don't really want to try this, (my husband won't let me anyway. I've already asked.) it does make you think about how we can use our yards a little more effectively. Instead of wasting water and space to raise a perfectly groomed spread of green grass, shouldn't we be looking ways to effectively make our yards work for us?

Oh, and by the way, I start getting my local food next week. I'll be thinking recipes and looking for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment