Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Joining Fair Shares

Last week I received an exciting email -- there is an opening at the Fair Shares CCSA. I can buy a share, or a partial share, if I am still interested. Hurray! I've been wanting to buy more food locally, support local farmers and producers, and lessen my "footprint" -- but finding ways to do it has been difficult.

Last summer we started making the trek to the Tower Grove Farmers Market, which just increased my desire to find a way to buy more of my family's food locally. But it wasn't easy. Getting to Tower Grove often became a half-day outing, and we couldn't make it as often as we needed. I looked into buying shares directly from a farmer, but the pick-up days or places didn't work either. A few months ago I decided to put my name on the waiting list for Fair Shares to see what would happen.

Of course buying into a CSA isn’t going to automatically make me a better consumer and eat better, but I hope it will be a good start.

I am not an expert. I am just on the first step that I hope will lead to a great journey to healthier living. I am going to use this blog to celebrate my small steps, knowledge gained, recipes that worked (and didn't), and foods my kids wouldn’t eat. It should be quite a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment