Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Thai Sweet Potato Salad


The last Fair Shares newsletter suggested looking at a blog from Overlook Farms for some new apple recipes. I did a little searching on the blog and found some other recipes that caught my interest. The one for Sweet Potato salad (scroll down the page) was perfect for my family. My daughters won't touch sweet potatoes, but love Pad Thai so I thought I'd give it a try. (we will be trying the Pho Bo soup, too. Vietnamese Soup is big in this house.) My youngest daughter, who won't try anything new, was asking for seconds. She said it tasted like Pad Thai.

I made a few adjustments to the salad dressing. The biggest changes were that I cut back on the mayonnaise because I knew my husband would like a less creamy dressing. I also used olive oil rather than sesame oil because I didn't have any on hand. To make up for it I added some toasted sesame seeds.

This is how I made the dressing:
Sweet Potato Salad

Cut three sweet potatoes into bit size pieces and boil until tender.

Combine these ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour the dressing over the potatoes.
1/2 c soy sauce
1/3 c mayonnaise
1 1/2 T ginger
1 1/2 T olive oil
6 cloves minced garlic
3 T creamy peanut butter (I used Sappington market's honey roasted)
1 T Chinese chili sauce
3 T brown sugar

I wanted to toss in some chopped green onions and crushed unsalted, roasted peanuts, but I didn't have either one. I think they would have added, but it was great as it.


As I said yesterday I caught my family dipping their tunrips in the sauce. I also saw some being put on the trout we served with it.

I hope you give it a try. Sweet potatoes are a great food and this is a refreshing way to eat them.


No comments:

Post a Comment