Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Turkish Lahmacun

Eating locally doesn't mean you have to limit your menu. Last night Scott made Lahmucan, a southern style pita topped with spicy lamb. He found the recipe in "Sultan's Kitchen." a cookbook featuring Turkish foods by Ozcan Ozan.

It was very easy, basically putting ground lamb, parsley, onion, tomato, and paprika on a crust and bake for 450 degrees for about 10 minutes. You don't have to brown the lamb before putting it on the crust. Everything cooks at about the same rate. We served it with tahini sauce.

Scott and I enjoyed the lahmucan, but I don't think it will be put into our regular rotation. I thought it had too much parsley and the paprika gave it to much of an after burn. The fun thing was using the locally produced lamb and locally grown tomatoes in a Turkish recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Lahmacun is not meant to be eaten sliced like a pizza. The best way to enjoy it is to make slightly smaller portions (maybe ten inches in diameter). After it's cooked, put some lettuce/onions/assorted salads on top, squeeze on a lot of lemon juice, and then roll it up like a burrito.

    I got addicted to lahmacun while I was living in Istanbul, and I've been desperately trying to find it in St. Louis. That you for re-whetting my appetite!

    ReplyDelete