Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Peach and Blueberry Pie

Last night we got back from our fourth trip out of town in the last six weeks. Eating locally has been nearly impossible and our food from Fair Shares has been given to friends, or even wasted at times since we haven't been home much.

I've been trying to make up for lost time in the last 36 hours, though. The highlight was a peach and blueberry pie I made this evening using peaches in last week's share (which my mother picked up for us while we were in Tulsa) and blueberries from the share the week before, which I had frozen for later use.

I had never had a blueberry and peach pie and wasn't sure what to expect. What I found was a perfect blend of flavors. The two fruits enhance each other to create the perfect summer treat.

It was a simple recipe taken from a wonderful pie cookbook my sister in law gave me, "Bubby's Homemade Pies," by Ron Silver and Jen Bervin.

The crust was made using local butter, King Arthur all purpose flour, salt and ice water. The filling was made with a few simple ingredients, too -- locally grown blueberries and Centennial Farms peaches, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest and locally produced butter.

Tomorrow I will post about a turkish meat dish my husband made tonight with the ground lamb we got in last week's share. We have also enjoyed some locally produced bacon, spare ribs and pesto pasta. It is so good to be home eating real food.




No comments:

Post a Comment