Search This Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Blueberries and Cauliflower

For Father's Day I wanted to make something special for Scott and use some of our Fair Shares produce. In particular I wanted to make Indian flavored cauliflower. He'd been wanting it for a couple of months, but cauliflower hasn't been in season until now. I also wanted to use some blueberries, but without making a desert or baked good. After a little internet searching I came up with hamburgers with blueberries. While it seemed like a strange combination, I also know fruit can be great complement to meat. It seemed worth a try.The recipe called for 1/3 cup of blueberries to be pureed with balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and worchester, which was then mixed into the 12 oz of hamburger. You can see the blue flecks in the patties above.


The cauliflower was browned for five minutes then I tossed in cayenne, tumeric and fresh ginger. I left it covered on low for about 30 minutes for the cauliflower to cook until soft, then threw in handful of chopped cilantro (from fair shares a few weeks ago.) I think I could have cooked it longer, but the flavor was really nice. Next time I think I'll add some onion.



The burgers were surprisingly moist and had a really nice flavor. I put cheddar cheese on top of mine. Our girls missed the meal because they were at the pool with friends, but I think they would have liked it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment