Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

Berkshire Bacon and egg casserole

I bought some berkshire bacon with my share last week from Salume Beddu. (I hope that is right. I threw away the package last night.) According to the Fair Shares newsletter, "Berkshire is a certified Heritage breed pig, prized for its flavor and texture, rather than for the amount of meat per dollar it produces. " I have to admit the flavor was wonderful. The bacon is thick cut and seasoned to perfection. We had some last night with an egg casserole. We live within walking distance of a Companion cafe and my family loves the egg casseroles. But the price is a bit much for a regular breakfast. ($5.95 a serving) Luckily Companion shares their recipes online. I adapted it a little bit, using local eggs from River Hills Poultry Alliance and Pilgrims Acres, skim milk rather than cream and whole milk, Legacy cheese and Methusala cheese from Heartland Creamery, and I left out the potatoes.

It was a wonderful dinner for our household right now -- three of the four of us are battling viruses, stomach flu, flu and bronchitis. The light egg meal sat well on the stomachs and was a great comfort food that we all enjoy. It was also nice to eat locally again.




No comments:

Post a Comment