Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Trip to Heifer International -- part 1 Zucchini-Chocolate Chip Cookies


I just came back from a week at the Heifer Ranch, hear Perryville, Arkansas. I was accompanying a group of mid-high youth from our church on a mission trip, where they both provided great work, but also learned a lot about sustainable living. The Hiefer Ranch is ran by Heifer International, a humanitarian organization working to end world hunger and poverty.

I have so much to say about the trip I am going to do it in a number of posts. Most will have to do with what we learned, but a few will just be about the experience, which was a blend of educational opportunities and mission work.

In a class called "Caring for the Earth" the youth looked at recycling and various power sources. To help understand the strength of solar power, the class made zucchini-chocolate chip cookies. While I don't think we will be buying a solar oven any time soon, I did like the idea of finding another way to use zucchini.

We all know zucchini has a reputation for being prolific when it is in season. My cousin, who lives in on a farm in rural Missouri, says even people who normally don't lock their doors start to when zucchini hits, "they don't like coming home to find the vegetable piled on their kitchen counters, left by generous neighbors."

I love to make zucchini bread and zucchini latkes, but now I have another use. All the kids loved the cookies, and I think it was a great experience for them to see a solar oven in use. Maybe one of them will invent a way to make solar energy easier to use at home in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment