Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

What says end of summer better than Fried Green Tomatoes?

More End of Season Goodness


I went to look at my little garden in the backyard over the weekend and found a few green tomatoes, as well as a few lonely peppers.  I have to admit I was thrilled.  Eating fried green tomatoes has become a personal tradition at the end of summer.  Instead of feeling sorry that the summer has ended when the beautiful red globes disappear, I'm excited to see the potential of firm green goodness.  


We had a seasonal dinner featuring all local foods -- bison burgers (bowood farms) , corn (which I had picked up at Tower Grove Farmers market and frozen in early September), sauteed peppers and onions and my beloved fried green tomatoes.  And like all good seasonal veggies, you've got to jump at the chance when you see it.


The sauteed peppers featured a variety of peppers from my own garden and some from Fair Shares.  It also  included caramelized onions.  No special seasoning -- nothing to take the fresh flavor from the seasonal goodies.  


Which leads to my favorite part of the meal, the fried green tomatoes!  They are super easy and super tasty.  Just slice the tomato, dip in milk, then flour, then whisked eggs.  You usually should add salt and pepper to the flour, but I opted to use a little Chicago Steak Seasoning from Penzey's  (if you live in the St. Louis area you at buy at the Penzey's store on Manchester Rd, in Maplewood)

No comments:

Post a Comment