Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

End of Season Goodness


Trout and Peppers

Summer is quickly coming to an end and so is my source for flavorful, local produce.  This weekend we have had two amazing locally sourced meals.  Friday night was had trout from Troutdale Farm.  I baked it at 375 degrees for 35 with a little mexican fajita seasoning.  While it was baking I made a sauté of shallots (onions would work, too),  a variety of peppers, some garlic and a few red pepper flakes.  When the shallots had caramelized, I splashed on a little balsamic vinegar.  The combination made a great topping for the fish, and was a great way to use some last produce of the summer.   



I know this one isn't as pretty, but it is just as tasty.  
Saturday morning we made a quick trip to the Tower Grove Farmers market to see what kind of end of season produce the farmers had on hand.  I was pleased to find more corn, which I blanched, cut off and froze; green beans, which I will blanch and freeze; okra, and chard.  Remembering we had Pappardelle Pasta in our freezer from Mangia Italiano, St. Louis, I decided we had to get some of the bolognese sausage I love from salume beddu.   

It is always fun to talk directly to the producer to get ideas of how to use the products.  I told the man at the salume beddu booth I was going to put the sausage with pasta and chard, like he suggested last year.  He reminded me to include onions and garlic.  I already had locally sourced shallots from St. Isidore farms and garlic from Bellews Creek, so I had it all!  

I did make a couple of additions at the last minute.  Remembering how good the peppers were on Friday, I added a pinch of red pepper flakes and splash of balsamic vinegar.  And I had some pine nuts left from another recipe that I threw in with some shredded methuselah cheese (from Heartland Creamery) at the very end.  It was a hearty, tasty lunch on a cold, wet day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment