Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Peach Blackberry Coffee Cake



Today I was feeling cabin fever. I broke my arm a few weeks ago and have been afraid to go out in the snow and ice so I've been in a lot.


On Friday I got my arm out of the sling so I have a little more use, and today I was looking in our basement freezer and found blackberries and peaches that I froze this summer. It seemed the perfect day to make a tasty summer dessert and break the winter blues.

I used this recipe from myrecipes.com. I had used it once in the fall when I needed to make something to take to school for my daughter's teachers, but I never really got to have it for our family. It was easy enough to make with my hurt arm, and the best part was I was able to use mainly local ingredients. The ingredient new to me this time was flour grown and milled in mid-Missouri by the Missouri Grain Project. Here is an article about the Missouri Grain Project from 2009. It explains that Missouri is #5 in wheat production, but none of it was being milled locally until 2008. The wheat is grown chemical free. I also used local butter, local eggs, and local fruit.

The best part of the whole thing is that it tastes like summer on a snowy, icy day.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog (I googled del Carmen black beans hehe) and I'm excited because I'm trying to do the same here in St. Louis! I haven't bought into a CSA yet (I'm really just beginning to cook more, though I've eaten organic and all natural for a good while), but I've been to a few of the local vendors in the area as well as a bunch of farmer's markets, so I do what I can! I'm now following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I hope you will share things you learn more, too.

    I love supporting local producers and growers. There is something very comforting knowing where your food comes from.

    If you haven't looked at Fair Shares, yet, take a peak. The new membership year starts in April and there may be openings. I'm getting the majority of my groceries through them -- even staples like eggs and butter. And it is only one trip to the store each week., rather than running around to different stores and vendors. I still make the occiasional trip to the farmer's markets, in season, but I don't have to.

    ReplyDelete