Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Tomatillos



I love tomatillo salsa. I love roasted salsas. I love grilling.

I was in grilling heaven last week when we got tomatillos (from St. Isidore family farm) in our share from Fair Shares, and there was a roasted tomatillo salsa recipe in the Fair Shares newsletter. It was really easy and it was a big hit with the whole family. Even my mother who is afraid of spicy foods loved it.

I roasted the tomatillos, garlic, an onion, and jalapenos in a foil pan on the weber grill. Put it all in the food processor and chopped to the consistency I like. (I had about 20 tomatillos, three jalapenos, one onion and 2 cloves of garlic) Very easy and very tatsty.

Everything in this mealwas local. The chicken was from Greenwood Farms. According to the Greenwood Farms website, "Greenwood Farms is the home of Naturally Raised Beef, Pork, Lamb, and Chicken, Free-Range Eggs, and "Jersey Girl" Grade A Raw Milk—all of which are raised without the use of antibiotics, steroids, or added hormones. We believe that working in harmony with nature is the best way to produce foods that are both healthy and delicious. so everything we sell is raised in a way that puts the health of our customers, the animals’ well-being, and the needs of the earth first." With that said, you should know the chicken was smaller than most roasters you see in the big chain grocery stores. It was probably the size of a small fryer, but the meat was so good it easily fed all five of us once we put it in the wrap with the tomatillo salsa, cheese and some tomatoes.

I roasted the chicken on the grill, along with some potatoes and carrots. When the chicken was done I started the tomatillos and corn, from Theis, which I had wrapped in foil with some butter and seasoning. We also had a lovely yellow watermelon from family owned Lee Farms in Truxton and tomatoes from Ivans Heiloom,

The next morning we had it on scrambled eggs with sausage, tomatoes and cheese in a breakfast wrap. (again all local)

You can really see the tomatillo salsa here because in the the base layer, but it is soooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment